You've been in an accident. Here is what to expect.
The first steps we take after you hire The Cannon Law Firm are to open a matter in Clio, request insurance & incident Information from all involved parties, and collect the records needed to prove your case.
Every case is different but most car accident matters resolve in 6 months to 1 year. Some matters may take longer depending on the complexity of the accident, the severity of injuries and if the case goes to trial.
These are actions you can take to ensure your best outcome.
Provide Copies of ID Cards
Provide us with copies of ALL your ID cards including the following:
- Auto Insurance
- Medicare and Medicaid
- Health Insurance
- State-issued ID such as a driver's license
If your injury and treatment can be photographed, let us know so we can arrange to photograph them. This may include the following:
- Casts, Braces, or Slings
We may also want to photograph the incident scene if possible.
Claim Lost Wages
Let us know if your doctor puts you on no-work or light-duty status. To submit a PIP claim for reimbursement we will need the following:
- Wage & Salary Verification from your Employer
- Disability Slip from your Doctor
Document Your Injury
Keep regularly scheduled doctor appointments.
- It’s the best way to feel better.
- You are creating a treatment record that the doctor can rely on when s/he provides an expert opinion about your injury.
- You need the doctor’s written documentation of an injury to bring a claim for pain and suffering against a person or company responsible for your injury.
Avoid Harmful Surveillance
It's not unusual for an insurance company to be interested in your activities.
- Be aware that an insurance company may hire a private investigator to photograph or video your activities.
- Be aware of how you are presented on social media sites like Facebook.
- Even if you are having a good day, keep your activities within what you have told your doctor you can do.
Communicate with Us!
Most of the work involved with your case is conducted between your doctors, insurance companies and us; however, the more information you supply us, the better.
- Keep us up-to-date about your address, telephone number(s) and employment information.
- Call our office periodically to let us know how you are doing and to find out the status of your case.
- Keep us up-to-date about your condition. Make sure you let us know if any of the following happens:
- Your condition changes
- You change doctors
- Your doctor sends you for any tests including MRIs or X-rays
- Your doctor tells you that you have reached maximum medical improvement (MMI)
Get Paid Back for Medical Expenses
PIP insurance benefits will be used to pay a percentage of your medical bills up to your coverage limit. PIP can also be used to reimburse you for some expenses such as prescriptions or mileage to and from medical appointments.